…and we are back to regular programming!
- Nice Classification Updated: The International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks was established by an Agreement concluded at the Nice Diplomatic Conference, on June 15, 1957 and was amended in 1979. Parties to the Nice Agreement have adopted the Nice Classification for registering trademarks. The Nice Classification, which was first published in 1963, is now in its tenth edition. The latest version of said edition (2016 version), which entered into force on January 1, 2016 has since been made available online by WIPO.
- COSON in Owerri: The Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) will be hosting a Stakeholders’ Forum for copyright owners in the South-East and South-South states of Nigeria on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 in Imo, Owerri State. Details here.
- Managing IP Publishes IP Stars 2016 Trade Mark Rankings: Managing IP recently announced its 2016 rankings of the top firms for trademark work in over 70 jurisdictions. Debuting in the Nigerian category is G. O. Sodipo & Co. About time, the Lady says. The 2016 rankings for patent and copyright will be published in March and April, respectively. The rankings can be viewed here.
- World IP Day Theme for 2016 Announced: The World IP Day is celebrated every April 2016 to promote discussion of the role of intellectual property in encouraging innovation and creativity. 2016 is no exception and as has been the norm, WIPO has announced the theme for this year’s celebration, which is captured below.
- WIPO Green Welcomes New Partner: WIPO Green has welcomed two new partners – The Moroccan Office of Industrial and Commercial Property (OMPIC) and The Environment Public Authority (EPA) of Kuwait. The WIPO GREEN Network facilitates commercial relationships and transactions by connecting green technology providers and seekers. In related news, WIPO Green is calling for applications from experts to advertise in its WIPO GREEN Roster of Service Providers. This call is for experts who can provide technical assistance, advice and consultancy in all areas of green technology transfer and deal making. Sign up here.
- 2016 SEED Awards – Applications now Open: WIPO GREEN Partner SEED Initiative has announced that applications are now open for the 2016 edition of its SEED Awards for Entrepreneurship in Sustainable Development. The annual award scheme is designed to find the most promising, innovative and locally led start-up social and environmental enterprises in countries with developing and emerging economies. More details here.
- Call for contributors to IPKat: The IPKat team has announced its intention to create a new role – InternKat. There are 2 slots available for this role, which is expected to run for a period of 6 months. The call is for keen IP enthusiasts and aspiring community bloggers. The deadline for applications is 29 February 2016. Successful applicants will begin their internship on 1 April 2016. Interested? Have a look at the announcement here.