Welcome to the first edition of the news segment of the Manor.*
- New Registrar for the Nigerian Trademarks, Patents And Designs Registry: Remember paragraph 6 of our previous post? From reports reaching the Lady, it appears that Mr William Amuga has been appointed as the new Registrar. He will be replacing Mr Olusegun Adeyemi Adekunle who succeeded Mrs Nima Salman-Mann in May, 2015. Mr Adekunle had introduced the data capture project, which was scheduled to commence on the 1st of October, 2015. It is not certain whether the data capture project will be implemented by Mr Amuga who served as an assistant Registrar to Mrs Salmanmann. Continuity of projects is certainly not a strong point of the public sector. (As an aside, the Lady wonders why the IPO Nigeria website is bereft of any information pertaining to the structure and leadership of the Registry.)
- Top WIPO official to be appointed a Minister in Nigeria: Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, a ministerial nominee was screened and confirmed by the Senate last week. His work experience with WIPO, which spans over two decades has seen him rise to the position of Deputy Director-General. He was also a contender for the position of DG, WIPO last year. The Lady hopes that irrespective of the portfolio he is assigned to, his appointment as a minister will have some positive bearing on the extant IP regime in Nigeria.
- Accession by the Russian Federation to the Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances: The Government of the Russian Federation, on October 19, 2015, deposited its instrument of accession to the Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances at WIPO. The date of entry into force of the said Treaty will be notified when the required number of ratifications or accessions is reached in accordance with Article 26 of the said Treaty.
- COSON Inaugurates Nigerian Digital Music Monitoring Group: Following from one of the resolutions at the Nigerian Digital Music Summit (September 28-29, 2015), COSON inaugurated the Nigerian Digital Music Monitoring Group on October 22, 2015. Members of the Group include top music industry executives, copyright experts, government agencies and representatives of telecommunications operators in Nigeria. More details here and here.
- COSON Week: The Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) week commenced today and will continue till Saturday, the November 7, 2015. It is touted as ‘The World Cup of Nigerian Entertainment‘ (some originality would have been lovely here). For more details, visit the COSON website or here.
*News from the Manor will be published bi-weekly with a focus on global IP developments .